Dear Friends of FAM,
Your wonderful partnership has been noticed...by me, FAM volunteers, and especially, by many families and children here in our community. They are people for whom your partnership is making all the difference in the world. Thank you!
So it is with gratefulness that I celebrate with you the progress we've achieved together in 2016. You'll read highlights of how you have helped transform so many lives this year.
As you consider your year-end giving today, may I suggest you again graciously consider the less fortunate among us, through FAM. Your generous year-end gift would be such a wonderful help, and be put to good use in the most responsible ways we can. If you have already given your year end gift, I thank you.
You may have stocks, bonds, real property, or other assets which have appreciated in value over time. If so, and you wish to use those assets to help, significant tax savings could be available. Feel free to call me about how you and FAM might benefit together from an asset transfer. (Be sure to always check with your own tax advisor.)
Thank you again for all you have done. I join FAM's staff, board and many volunteers in praying that God will bless you and your family this Christmas. May He grant you a wonderful year in 2017.
Serving the needy among us together,
Mary Gray Perdue, Executive Director
Family Assistance Ministries
2016 Ministry Progress Report
Thank you for the many ways you helped the hungry and the hurting and for preventing homelessness in 2016.
Your partnership has enabled Family Assistance Ministries to provide that "hand up" to nearly 4,800 people every month. Many were young families with children.
"Then Jesus took the loaves and gave thanks to God and passed them out to the people...
...And everyone ate until full!"
- John 6:11 (Living Bible)
Here are just a few of the many ways you have helped ...
Through your partnership with FAM, together we accomplished much during 2016!
- Opened the new FAMily Shelter to house homeless families to include fathers
- $47,000 helped Rapid Re-House homeless clients off the streets and into their own housing
- 110 homeless women and homeless mothers with children were sheltered through Gilchrist House
- 58,000 encounters with people in need
- Redistributed 781,199 lbs of food
- Just over $1.9m in food and personal care items were distributed
- Provided case management and financial counseling to clients
- Distributed $143,033 in client cash aid for rent, transportation, utilities, medical and prescriptions paid to the provider and always with financial counseling in to order to help stabilize clients and avoid homelessness
- FAM opened our third distribution site in Dana Point in partnership with St Edward's Parish providing much needed services closer to home for many in need
- 45% of FAM clients are children in need of nutritious food options
- 15% of FAM clients are seniors who's income does not cover rent, food, and prescriptions
- 480 students received their back-to-school supplies
- over 700 clients attended FAM's Annual Resource Fair with agencies from all over the county coming to offer services to So OC residents
- Thousands of Thanksgiving meals were provided to the hungry and poor through Adopt-a-Family and over 500 joined in for the Annual Thanksgiving Feast with the food all cooked and provided by our generous community
- 1500 children received their Christmas presents through FAM's Adopt-a-Family and the Annual Children's Christmas Party
FAM's events help bring the community together to create awareness and raise funds for the those in most need. The Annual Hunger Walk, Children's Christmas Party, Annual Thanksgiving Feast, Easter Brunch, Resource Fair, Second Saturday, Senior Day, Mission Hospital flu shots, Annual Golf Tournament, local food drives put on by our generous local partners and more. This year, the City of San Clemente, City of Laguna Niguel, City of Aliso Viejo, City of San Juan Capistrano, and the City of Mission Viejo, and HUD all partnered with FAM to help their citizens in need.
In order to leverage our effort and provide the most effective assistance to clients in need, FAM partners with over 400 organizations. These partners include: schools, churches, businesses, civic organizations, other social service agencies, and of course the individuals who have come alongside us with their donations of funds and volunteerism. We are most grateful to each and every one who has made it possible to change lives.
May this new year bring you and yours health and happiness.
Thank you for your treasured partnership!